Unemployment is a word which we increasingly incorporate in our daily life. Depression, anxiety and other serious health problems are its consequences which affect mainly men.
… What about our psychological state
Among the psychological consequences of unemployment are excessive anxiety, depression, drug addiction, hopelessness, loss of joy of life and increased risk of suicide.
In Greece, the impact of unemployment in our psychological state is very serious as a study conducted from the University of Patras among the unemployed in Patras and Syros showed great percentage of mental disorders and depression.
High social status and recognition usually depend on a man’s work. So if the job is lost,then man loses his main role and his power. Men have lower self-esteem when they become unemployed according to social standards, their self-image and expectations.They feel rejected not only by society but also from their partner and they develop feelings of sadness, helplessness and frustration. They even show signs of depression.
The Role of partner
As in all difficult situations, the wife should be supportive towards her husband. She must believe in him and show him that together they can overcome every problem. Of course this means that the partners are very close to each other. The wife should show him how she appreciates him and recognize his value as a father, partner and friend. It is also difficult for a man to adapt to the new realities and the wife should find a convenient way to share the household responsibilities in accordance with his abilities and wishes.
Pieces of Advice
The solution to any problem always depends on how one interprets the situation. Therefore:
- Think of the situation as temporary and focus on the present without interpreting it as disastrous.
- The partners shouldn’t be competitive towards each other because the husband may feel rejected.
- As long as the husband stays at home it is very important for him to remain active in order to feel useful.
- He should activate the circle of acquaintances in order to find a new job, increase his professional skills and take a look at what went wrong in his previous work so that he improves.
- If his wife doesn’t work either it could be easier for her to find a job and contribute financially to the household until her husband finds a new one.